There are a few easy steps that you can take to get your house organized and make it a “clutter-free” zone…remember that it can take some time…so be patient, don’t get discouraged and you will be able to minimize your household clutter in no time!
FYI…there are lots of great programs to watch that can also give you ideas and inspiration before you get started!
Create a checklist. Write down all of the areas in your home that you want to concentrate on and then itemize what you need to do to make your home more organized and clutter free. Keep it simple and make sure that it is attainable to keep the process as stress-free as possible.
Set a schedule and timeline for yourself. Make a list of what you will need to accomplish in each room of your home to make it more organized and set goals to achieve it.
You know the term use it or lose it? Decide which items that you want to get rid of and make a plan.
If it’s clothing…will you want to host a clothing swap party with friends or donate the items to a local thrift store or charity? If it’s designer clothing or purses that are worth something you may even want to sell them in a consignment shop or online. Some popular sites are Ebay, Etsy or Facebook Marketplace.
If it’s bigger items like furniture or appliances will you need to have them picked up by a local junk removal company or charity? You may even decide to organize a garage sale and get rid of everything at once. Whatever you decide you will want to plan it out to make it as organized and hassle-free as possible.
Here are some helpful links to help you with your decluttering journey:
Once you have removed the items that you no longer need…it’s time for the real fun…let’s minimize and get organized!
Buy storage organizers and organizing systems for areas that need it.
The kitchen, bathroom and all of your closets are perfect examples of areas that benefit…
There are many great budget friendly organizing systems that you can invest in:
For your kitchen…
- Storage baskets for organizing the fridge, freezer and cupboards
- Food storage containers for dry foods
- Drawer organizers and extra cutlery trays for narrow kitchen utensils
- Spice rack (some you can mount on a wall for more space)
- Use pocket organizers in cupboards for cleaning supplies or utensils
- Install hooks for tea towels or to keep utensils or other items organized
For your bathroom…
- Drawer dividers to keep the small items from getting messy
- Install over the door hooks for towels
- If you don’t have one..get a laundry hamper for the bathroom
- Stackable bins or shelves for cupboards and under the sink
- Shower caddies for shampoos, conditioners, razors and soaps
- Clear glass jars for smaller items and toiletries
For your closet…
- Shoe racks (some are over the door styles or hang and can also store accessories)
- Scarf hangers
- Hanging sweater organizer which can also be used for other items
- Multi-level hanger for pants or skirts
- Over the door hooks for robes or to create extra space
- Closet cubbies that stack
There are many great storage ideas and options available locally or online. Get creative as sometimes through the process of organizing your home you will find that the storage solutions you need are already available in your home…they just weren’t being utilized properly.
TIPS…purchase labels or a label maker to keep things organized and when decluttering get rid of any duplicates that you don’t need.
What are some of the benefits of decluttering your living space?
Decluttering can often help to relieve stress and make you feel energized and productive. Once you get rid of stuff that you don’t need, enjoy the peace and tranquility home organization brings to your living space.
Decluttering also allows you to find those items that you have misplaced and rediscover them…sometimes it’s shocking the things that you will find!
Keep in mind…
- Some things are sentimental…but what do you really need to keep?
- If you are decluttering your home…baskets and bins are your new best friends!
- Once you have minimized things at home…keep it that way. Think before you purchase.
- If the process of decluttering is not for you, there are many companies that you can hire to do it for you.
Now that you have finished… sit back and enjoy the peacefulness that will come with your newly decluttered home!